A Catchy Press Release Makes the News
Whether it is about launching a nationwide campaign against destruction of wildlife or launching a new product in the market, publicity is the key to the success of a marketing campaign. With media having the most upper-hand in all matters of public and private interests, a catchy press release will ensure that you get the due attention and your story is covered.
In simple words, a press release is a written statement to the media about anything that needs to get covered and publicized. However, it is not easy making an impression and getting the media attention. The media has a lot many things to cover and it is sheer importance of your story and the quality of your press release that will get you on the news.
An engaging press release can be an excellent tool of your business communications strategy and may lead to TV, radio, and other media coverage, appearance, and exposure. The objective of professional press release writing should be to capture the attention of the audience – national or international, to educate them of your cause, purpose, or products.
What should a professional press release be about?
- The most important thing with press releases as with other business communication tools is the content. The content needs to be newsworthy, something that has news value and will get the attention of the readers. There is certainly no point talking about an event that has been a week old. The press release should be talking about what’s new and what’s coming next.
- Human interest stories get the most attention, especially if you are looking to target the local media. People will be more interested in what happened to a certain family when a nearby incinerator emission took place than the combustion statistics of the same area.
- Controversies and scandals are fuel to gossips and are always interesting. The effect is similar to the difference TRP that an India-Pakistan cricket match gets than of an India-Sri Lanka game.
- Unsuspected, unusual, and quirky events are the most read news in papers. This could be in the form of a humorous photograph or a stunt that is related to your news. An example of it could be the GM Food stunt where Halloween pumpkins were carved out by Cornwall Friends of the Earth. This is something clever, out-of-the-box, and practically effective.
- Press release writing should be relevant to the end readers or audience. This will need you to find a local angle for your write-up. Government import subsidies could be made more interesting a topic if you show the effect on the local market and how the readers could be affected.
While writing a press release as part of your business communication strategy, it is also important to mention the ‘who, when, what, why, where’ of the story. A brief about the company with contact information and relevant links ties it up together. Last but not the least, include a “call to action”. This could be a link to your website, the list of addresses of the stores for your new product, and likewise.
To harness the power of this great business communication and marketing tool, for press release writing and press release distribution, fill in our Query Form or write to us at
Read also: Effective Press Release Distribution Makes the News Travel Far and Wide